The contact point Jennersdorf
Contact Point Manager
Othmar Lorenz, Phone +43 59133 10 8200, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
8380 Jennersdorf, Hauptstrasse 51,
District Police Command
8380 Jennersdorf, Hauptstraße 51
7 departments, of which 2 border inspection posts
District Jennersdorf has an estimated population of 17.112 (as of 01.01.2018)
Sights and Attractions
Artist village Neumarkt an der Raab, memorial to the Battle of the Turks 1664 on the Schlößlberg in Mogrsdorf Castle Tabor in Neuhaus am Klausenbach, farmer museum in Jennersdorf, landscape conservation area Lafnitz (Natura 2000) and nature park Raab
In 1961, when the Burgenland regional group was founded, the Jennersdorf contact point was set up. Under the first chairman Karl Bohnstingl the contact point made a good start and developed continuously under the following contact point managers Johann Ivankovics and Franz Nentwich. During the founding years many excursions were organized in Austria, participated in football tournaments and also organized some themselves.
Since 1993 Alfred Sach and his deputy Othmar Lorenz have been in charge of the Jennersdorf contact point. The already traditional Grenzland Small Field Football Tournament is the cornerstone of the events. In addition to teams from many Austrian provinces, teams from Hungary, Slovenia and Italy usually also take part in this tournament.
A further focus for years has been travelling to colleagues in Germany, Hungary and Italy.
Due to the special location of our contact point at the border triangle to Slovenia and Hungary, friendly contacts have been maintained for many years with the adjacent contact points of these sections. All the more so as both countries will become so-called Schengen countries in the near future and international cooperation will become more and more important anyway.
The district of Jennersdorf lies in the southeast of Austria, is the southernmost district of Burgenland and borders Hungary in the east and Slovenia in the south. The Raab and Lafnitz rivers flow through the district. The Lafnitz has been declared a protected landscape area "Natura 2000" for long stretches. A cross-border nature park has been established southeast of the Raab. To the east, the district borders directly on the Loipersdorf thermal spa. The lovely, gently hilly area with approx. 150 km of cycle paths is very popular with cyclists. The untouched nature of the Lafnitz and Raab invite you to canoe trips and picnics on the banks.
In Mogersdorf a memorial was erected in memory of the Battle of the Turks in 1664, in Neuhaus am Klausenbach various cultural events are organised at Tabor Castle.
The artists' village of Neumarkt an der Raab is a meeting place for many renowned artists from home and abroad, including Giuseppe Sinopoli. Initiator was the academic painter Ferry Zotter from Neumarkt /R.
In Minihof Liebau the IPA colleague Rudi Pilz built and looks after the zoo Saufuß. The endangered native animals that can be seen there are a popular excursion destination for families.
Jennersdorf, Rudersdorf, Loipersdorf
The municipality of Jennersorf is the district capital and borders on the Loipersdorf thermal spa in the west.
The first settlement in the Jennersdorf area was probably in Roman times. Roman burial mounds found suggest this. The foundation of the Cistercian monastery St. Gotthard, about 10 km east of Jennersdorf in today's Hungary, in 1183, was of great importance for Jennersdorf. Jennersdorf, then Janafalu, was first mentioned in a document in 1187 under Pope Urban III.
After the annexation of Burgenland to Austria in 1921, Jennersdorf became a district suburb. At that time there was a textile weaving mill in Rudersdorf in the Lafnitztal, the company "Sattler" as the dominating economic enterprise of the district Jennersdorf. In 1961 the textile factory "Vossen" was settled in Jennersdorf and the economic boom of the village was initiated.
In recognition of the good economic development and the central function, Jennersdorf was elevated to the status of a town on 1.3.1977 under the then mayor Anton Brückler. Jennersdorf has approx. 4,700 inhabitants and is approx. 38 km² large.
After joining the EU, several large companies, the leather and construction industries as well as a high-tech company (lighting technology) were added. The outdoor swimming pool, built in 1968, was brought up to the state of the art in 2000 and is currently the most modern in Austria.
Jennersdorf is also a school town and has many social facilities. In 1991, the "MutterTeresa" residential home for the elderly with the most modern and friendly equipment was built, and in 2002 the "Haus Elisabeth" nursing home for the severely disabled was built.
After the construction of the Loipersdorf spa, 6 km from Jennersdorf, tourism boomed rapidly throughout the region. The number of overnight stays rose from 11,000 in 1987 to approx. 160,000 in 2007.